Wednesday, November 4, 2009

We have met the Idiocracy and it is us

We have met the Idiocracy and it is us

It was a little after 6:00 AM when the local radio announcer announced that he would announce the local election results in a later announcement. But now for an important announcement . . . I think it was an advertisement for zit crème.

One of my co-workers in the van clued me in on the one statewide item of most interest to me - Initiative #1033. Essentially this measure would limit state revenues and expenditures at current levels, with future increases indexed to the inflation rate and population growth. The spending limits would only apply to increases not approved by the voters.

Sounds OK, doesn't it? Don't see a downside – except for all those government programs with automatic increases in budget, and legislators afflicted with tax and spend syndrome. Dumbass elected officials might be a bit ill at ease if they had to actually get approval of their constituents before taxing the bejeesus out of us.

Initiative 1033 went down in flames by a very sound margin.

In the weeks before the election my television and radio were flooded with slick ads proclaiming that I-1033 would gut the budgets of seniors and schoolchildren. Grandma and Grandpa would be tossed barefoot out into the snow. And what about the children? Teachers would have their pay cut, and the kids would be scribbling on slates in a cold classroom lit only by a single candle made of bacon fat.

BULLSHIT of the highest order!

I-1033 would not now, nor ever, cut one red cent from any program, nor would it deny the generous, if not insane, funding of any project or program approved by the voters.

Oh yes, did I mention that the majority of funding for the anti-1033 came directly from SEIU? You do know that SEIU is the jack-booted union representing public sector workers. SEIU, intimately associated with ACORN, donated $61 million to Obama's election campaign war-chest.

Take a peek at this article about SEIU

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/08/06/seiu-and-the-persuasion-of-power/

Yes, Virginia, the electorate is deaf dumb and blind.

IQ of the average voter is exemplified by a City Council member that was re-elected to a third term here in my hometown. This fellow actually has tin foil lining the inside of his hat. Really – I'm not kidding – I've seen it with my own eyes. Councilman Tom Larson has also accused the city staff of sabotage when an overhead projector failed to project the image of a book onto the screen. No – I don't mean a transparency of a page in the book – I mean the actual book placed onto the glass.

Even after he flipped the book over there was no image on the screen (imagine that!).

I'm not making this up. I have witnesses. Dewey and Dana were both there in the audience to witness this spectacle.

Stay with me now - Remember the voters have elected and re-elected and re-re-elected this genius to be the steward of their community. I've always thought leaders should be wise and sage pillars of the community - not court jesters.

The local newspaper, the Tri-City Herald has been lambasting Councilman Larson for years due to his incessant stupidity and ignorance of each and every topic over which he has presided for the past 8 years.

He won the election only because he had about a jillion campaign signs emblazoned with his slogan "Protecting your Rights. Saving your Money".

Voters of our Idiocracy failed to take notice of small print in the newspapers, but big bright colors on campaign signs, and snappy TV spots grabbed their short attention spans.

I fear we are doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment